archive for 'roos'
pix to follow…
the trousers went together in about 5 hours without benefit of instructions. this included a good couple of hours laying out and cutting the pattern as i wanted to use up the fabric from her dungies which is a perfect co-ordinate for the stripes. this meant piecing, which i wouldn’t have even bothered to attempt had i not assumed i only needed 1 trouser leg (1 front piece and 1 back) when preliminarily laying it out. once i’d committed to the idea i was damn sure i wasn’t going to give up and use fabric that had actually cost me something. i ended up cutting the knee sections on the cross grain as it was the only way to squeeze them in, and even then i had to add a little patch. was left with about 10 square cms worth of scraps.
i need to look up a method for adding the elastic into the casing as it’s a bit twisty in there. it’s also a fair bit too long which results in fetching nappy exposure out the back of the apron. my seam allowances were a bit haphazard, so the legs are different widths, resulting in one frill being too long and the other perilously close to too short, even though i’d cut them longer than the pattern piece just in case. i didn’t bother sewing and turning the frills this time, just joined them to the trouser legs zz’d the raw edges together and topstitched the lot. much quicker and more manageable. i did all the other seams with the overlock stitch and topstitched, seems strudy enough and quick too.
i’m totally thrilled by my thriftiness, the whole outfit cost Â£1.20 for a spool of thread, of which i still have most left. we’ve had loads of compliments on it and i’m even coming round to the stripey fabric, which is utterly adorably soft. now it’s turned out super wearable i’m a little ashamed of my shoddy sod-it-it’s-only-a-muslin techniques. the buttonhole on the apron is a real monstrosity – back side is purple thread cos i ran out and whole thing is stiff as a board as i had to go over it 3 times to get it the right size and go over cut threads.
i’m overall super chuffed with the look and the ease of sewing (though a frilled or contrasting flat trim would save a good hour’s hand basting work and add a bit of variety to her summer wardrobe, i can see this one coming around again with monotonous regularity).
this is my wearable muslin made from a freebie mystery fabric. out of curiosity i tried a burn test – i think it’s probably 100% cotton. i did a reasonable job of matching the stripes (on the facings as well as at the side seams), but the topstitching is a bit haphazard, i’ll try to keep it at 1/8 rather than 1/4 on the real deal, which will be her birthday party dress. at the moment i’m thinking reversible, one side in the fab embroidered cotton, other in pink linen/cotton with appliques cut from the embroidered stuff.
it went together pretty well without the aid of much instruction. stef did a great job at translating, though she was lost on a couple of technical terms, but it turned out they were pretty minimal anyway (i.e. even briefer than ottobre). i’m glad i did as instructed with the straps and sewed them right sides together then turned, rather than folded under and topstitched as i’d have been tempted to, as they’re not at all stiff. otoh i’m less pleased with the end result of the pleats. again it has you sew the strips rst and turn. i did this with a minimal SA but it still left me very little room to manoevre when i came to attach them to the hem. it also left a ridiculously thick wodge to sew through, especially a the side seams where i was sewing through 17 layers . while it gives a good weight to the hem it’s pretty stiff.
i won’t have the same problem with the next version as the pleats can just be sandwiched between the layers, so no need to turn a very long tube either, should make a quick pattern even quicker.
on the whole i’m really pleased with it. it seems to fit about right and i’m quite fond of the fabric now too. i found it ratheralarming at first.