even smaller this time, just A4 sized, perfect for an apprentice piece. the background sky/tree fabrics are pieced, everything else is appliqued. since this didn’t have to withstand being washed i thought i’d have a go at fusible applique, but i didn’t want to machine it (everything is hand stitched) or have raw edges, so i had a go at stitching the pieces onto lightweight fusible interfacing, cutting a slit in the interfacing, turning, then fusing. in the main this worked well, although there are a few spots where the interfacing is peeking out around the edges, especially on the smaller/fiddlier pieces. i do think it was definitely worth saving the hassle of slip stitching everything down. i think perhaps i should have cut out behind the appliques to reduce bulk and show-through, especially behind the house, but i wasn’t convinced that the fusible would hold if it was only a thin line around the edge.
the quilting is more successful in some spots than others. i’m pleased with the swirly puffiness of the sky – which comes from following the outlines
of the paisley pattern – and the wavy ground. on the other hand, i don’t think the concentric circles on the tree actually do it any favours and i think the house is still unresolved. although what i should have done further with it i’m not sure, and with all those layers to work through i’m not sure it woud have taken a pleasing texture anyway.
the little details on the house – the blind, number and button handle – were sadly not at all my invention (although i did have the brainwave of taking the number from a selvedge rather than attempting to embroider it) all credit to syko’s fantastic houses. believe me i had to strongly restrain myself from duplicating wholesale all of her clever little touches.
all in all i’m torn about this, there’s something that really isn’t working for me and i can’t quite put my finger on it. i’m happiest with the tree side of things
, and the little dress. but it’s all been good practice – i’m getting quite good at bindings now, i even managed a mitred corner on this one – as neat on the back as it is on the front thanks to this explanation
of what to do with the back, cos the suggestion that it will somehow mitre itself
on the back which appears to be pretty widespread is a long way from the truth in my experience. and my quilting stitches are getting smaller, if not much more regular. here’s a question for any hand quilters reading – when people say it’s more important that your stitches are even than small, should i be aiming for stitches that are the same size as each other
, or should they also be the same size as the spaces between them